View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently January 19th, 2018, 12:04

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 [ Accepted ] Smalle - BM monk/BM hunter - Omega 
KVWN raider

I want to preface the application with this - I'm applying as a brewmaster monk since that is what I've been raiding as in Legion, hence it's the most geared character. I do realize however that the chances for Inner Sanctum to to recruit a tank externally are slim. I am happy to play a few other classes and I'm currently preparing them as best as I can outside of raids. A hunter is just about ready. I'm willing also to wait for an opening in the roster. Details below.

General info
Character name: Smalle
Battletag: lamme#2288
Race, class, level, Artifact Level server: gnome, monk, 110, 74, all legendaries, EU-Ravencrest
Talent spec: Brewmaster

For how long have you been playing World of Warcraft?
13 years, since before the official release.

Total played time:
Upwards of 1000 days, the 2 mains I played have a combined played time of over 700 days.

Time played on current character in current expansion:
110 days.

Guild and raid info
Previous guilds and your reason(s) for leaving them:
Since the release of original World of Warcraft I have been in a grand total of one guild, The Enigma Order. I joined it immediately after reaching lvl 60 and have made my way through all the ranks, from a member through class leader and an officer to a raid and guild leader since Wrath of the Lich King.

The guild was a happy-middle sort of a place. We had some very good players, we had some less skilled, but very enjoyable and fun to play with. This was reflected in the progress - over the years we were on average around world 500-600, peaking inside top 300 during WoD unless I'm mistaken. Legion resulted in a steady decline in the ranking for the guild.

As a guild master I prepared tactics and corresponding WeakAuras, dug through the logs, handled the recruitment and dealt with the roster. I also organized a guild migration between end of Cataclysm and launch of Mists of Pandaria and then rebuilt the guild's roster and structure on the new server. Last but not least, I managed to find a sponsor whom with we maintained a mutually satisfying relation till late WoD, when the sponsoring company shut down its gaming related business.

As for the reasons of my leaving - and effectively shutting the guild down - I will try to keep it short. Through the many years the guild had a clearly defined profile - we were willing to accept people of various level of skills as long as we had good fun plying together. There was humor, high spirits. Worldwide rank was never a main concern. Now, since the launch of Legion very many old-time members stopped raiding (mostly due to real life circumstances, but a few because of the randomness and grindiness of the current expansion). We struggled with recruitment, but eventually managed to get a stable roster. Sadly, while we still had people with different level of skills, as time passed on it was less and less fun to play together. We did not have the same banter and friendly atmosphere we used to have before, we had very different ideas where we want the guild to go. The spirit was nowhere near to what it used to be. In consequence, some personal conflicts arose further spoiling the mood in the raids. It was no longer fun.

I felt responsible for the whole situation, I don't deal with conflicts very well and I didn't think I could fix it, so I decided it was the time to call it. Especially when I realized that being forced to act as sort of a mediator in all those quarrels is affecting my mood outside of the game.

How did you hear about Inner Sanctum?
I am no stranger to wow-progress as I have been using it for the purpose of recruitment for quite a long time myself. Inner Sanctum's name just became familiar by browsing it, I don't recall any particular moment.

Why Inner Sanctum and why should we accept YOU?
As to why I chose Inner Sanctum, my main criteria was to find a long-standing guild, ideally originating from vanilla. Equally important was for it to be alliance especially with a faction-based conflict expansion on the horizon. Furthermore I was searching for a guild that raids 3 or 4 times per week, international (English speaking), obviously on EU servers, however ideally not on Ravencrest where I currently reside.

Under those conditions Inner Sanctum is among the very few top picks. I've been keeping an eye on it for the better part of this year, I did my due diligence, I liked what I found out and so here I am. I have no applications pending with any other guild, I will not file any prior to Inner Sanctum's response.

Besides, looking at wowprogress I like how the kills of mythic bosses are spread over time for Inner Sanctum – I wouldn't want to play in a guild that clears a new tier in a matter of few weeks, cause then there isn't very much left to do for months before next raid. However I also do appreciate how there's time left between the final boss kill and new tier being released – time when farming is done in less than 3 evening per week I imagine.

Why me?

First of all I want to make the following very clear - I'm looking for a guild for the long howl. I spent over a decade with one guild and now I'm looking for a place to raid for the next 10 years at. While I'm eager to resume raiding as soon as possible, I understand that I might have wait for an opening in the roster I could fill. That's fine by me, I'm happy to join the guild and at first participate and help out with activities other than mythic raids - split heroic raids, mythic plus, you name it. If you don't have room for me in raids right away, I hope I can prove myself to the guild that way. If people find me competent enough and I get generally accepted by the guild as a person, I will gladly wait for a spot and proper test period as a chosen class at a later stage. If it means waiting until Battle for Azeroth - so be it.

Besides that, as stated in the section regarding the previous guild, I have full appreciation for the effort it takes to run a raiding guild. I know that the good of many outweigh the good of the few. I realize just about every applicant will say so, but I do put the goals of the team ahead of my own.

All this means to say is that should you choose to take me, you get a person who knows what to do, doesn't need hand-holding, can appreciate the effort it takes to run a raiding guild and will therefore be 100% hassle-free. If accepted I will wait for the chance to prove my worth as long as required, I will help in any way needed and I won't make a fuss about it. If at any point you decide I don't fit in and you'd rather have me leave, I'll go without any bad blood.

Do you know anyone from Inner Sanctum in-game or irl already? If yes, who and will they vouch for you?
No.

What is your raid experience (on any character and including past experience)?
Vanilla - cleared up to the first boss in AQ at which point I was forced to stop playing for few months due to a scholarship, guild got up to Four Horsemen
TBC - everything
WotlLK - all hard-modes but Yogg-Saron; Lich King and Mimiron only 10 man
Cataclysm - everything but Nefarian; Ragnaros only 10 man
MoP - majority of bosses, missing few from the first tier and Lei Shen, SoO cleared; bumpy beginning due to guild migration
WoD - everything
Legion - EN, NH except Gul'dan, ToS up to Avatar (no kill on Avatar)

Vanilla to Cataclysm as a hunter, monk since MoP. Raid leader since late TBC.

What do you expect from raiding in Inner Sanctum
My absolute, top priority when applying to Inner Sanctum is to find a place where I will have fun playing and raiding again. Lately I have not had much fun, so I'm looking to change that.

For the past 13 years I've been raiding with and leading the same group of people interested in killing mythic bosses, but with very different idea about how much effort it is reasonable to ask for to achieve that. I pushed in the direction of more seriousness and involvement, but as it was a gang of more than 25 people, it was always a middle-way consensus. Now that this is over, I'd like to raid with people who, I imagine, have a similar idea about raiding as I do. As such, what I hope to find in Inner Sanctum is a fun, vivid community passionate about quality raiding and wiling and able to invest the time and effort that requires.

I would be delighted if I was given a chance to prove myself to a group of individuals who like to hang out together, have some good time on discord, but who are also able to focus fully on learning a new encounter when required. I'd like an environment where constructive criticism it is not only accepted, but in fact welcomed, where people do speak up if they made a mistake others can learn from and then for others to actually pay attention, listen, so that that mistake doesn't happen again the very next attempt. I'd love to be part of a raid that sees a boss for the first time, yet everyone have a solid idea what to expect, what are the key mechanics and how to handle them, what are the priority targets and what can be cleaved down over time, which abilities are particularly dangerous and require cooldowns and so on. The strategy. I'm also looking for a guild where, after a new expansion is released, people put the necessary effort into gearing up without being individually asked for it, where it is obvious that gear optimization is required etc.

Put is simple, I'd like to play with people whose prime objective is to beat new encounters, who are willing to go an extra mile to achieve that and who have a good time doing so, with solid teamwork. I feel confident I would fit in such an group myself.

Do you have a microphone and are you willing to use it during raids?
Yes.

Can you attend all of our raid times listed in the rules? How often do you expect to miss a raid? (note we have an 80% attendance requirement and do track raider attendance)
Yes. I have not missed a single raid in Legion (and in fact since before MoP) raiding under a 3 days-per-week schedule. Evidence can be provided.

I'm in full control both of my working and spare time. My shifts are published 3 months in advance and can be moved without too much of a trouble. So I can say with confidence I will be there for nearly every raid and if not, the leading team will be informed well in advance.

In order to maintain such high activity every once in a while I may need to accept a night shift on a raiding day. This is, again, known well ahead and it practically means I need to be swapped at 22.30 server time and can be avoided entirely during progression.

If a decision is made to add extra raids early on when new raid opens, I'll be able to join those no problem. I wouldn't want to raid more than 4 times per week on a regular basis though.

How much do you play outside of raiding times?

Quite a bit. I'm pretty fond of mythic+ and UI have an arsenal of characters at different ilvl to run these with.

How would you describe yourself as a raider?

Competent, calm, patient. I'm a person who likes to know what to expect even before setting foot in a raid. I can assure detailed knowledge of mechanics of each encounter, not only those concerning my role. After a pull or two I will adjust my bossmods setting so that the announcement for the crucial abilities are highlighted. I dare say I have a pretty solid overview of the raid, the current situation - my UI allows me to see which cooldowns are available, who stands where, what's coming next. Consequence of raid leading for a long time.

Playing a tank I will admit I do not pay too much attention to my damage done – I don't mean I will stand next to a boss and not hit it, but if as an off-tank I can move away for few seconds and make it easier for melee to spread or otherwise deal with mechanics, I will do that. I also have a decent understanding of how most other classes and specs work (decent, not detailed), so I will do my best not to move the boss out of ground effects, trinket procs etc. Which is a bit tricky when it comes to the effects you actually cannot see!

Playing a damage dealer I naturally do my best to maximize damage done, however only after taking into account fight-specific mechanics – I understand which targets should be prioritized and I'm not afraid of sacrificing overall damage for the sake of eliminating these faster. Doesn't look good in the logs at a first glance, but in the end that's what gets the job done.

Other than that I believe I have a pretty solid attention-span, I'm not a person bothered by repetitive activities. Personally I like to keep it somewhat serious during raids – cracking a joke here and there is often great, but keeping voice com clear during pulls is even more important for me.

What addons do you use to improve your raiding performance?
Exorsus Raiding Tools – specifically the Note module, in your kill videos I've noticed you use Angry Assignments, so I got that as well just in case
ElvUI – however with standard raid frames plus Raid Frame Icons
WeakAuras
Range Display
DeadlyBossMods
Decursive

And many more with less impact on raiding performance, but just for general quality of life.

Please supply a screen shot to your UI:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIHBoY ... -06W7qIudQ

Screenshots are good, but vidoes are better. Above a link to a youtube channel hosting most of the kills I participated in since late MoP. Almost all videos should be from my perspective so the UI and its evolution can be see. I'm also usually the most vocal person.

Please supply a link to the armory with your raiding gear equipped:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIHBoY ... -06W7qIudQ

That's a bit tricky – I don't really have one raiding gear set. With the wide choice of legendaries, tier bonuses of questionable value and a good selection of trinkets I will tinker around with gear nearly on a boss-by-boss basis.

The set that will hopefully show in aromory is the one I like playing with the most, it's particularly good for mythic+. Offensive and defensive value are both balanced quite well.

Please supply combat logs of some of your previous kills:
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/ ... est/smalle

Please supply a link to the armory of any relevant alts you're playing:

Hunter: https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-gb/chara ... rest/lamme
Mage: https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-gb/chara ... est/smalla

As mentioned in the very start of the application, while brewmaster monk is currently by far the best geared of my characters, I'm fine playing few other classes and specializations.

As far as monk goes, it wouldn't be fair for me to offer to play as anything but a tank - I do not enjoy playing a melee damage dealer regardless of the class, so windwalking is a no-go. Mistweaving I enjoy it quite a bit, but I wouldn't make for a good healer in raiding environment. From my experience raiding healers need to have that something that allows them to say “no, I will stand here and heal, you deal with mechanics”. I couldn't do that.

Generally, I'm fine playing a tank or ranged damage dealer, while healing and especially melee classes are not for me.

Since the recent decision not to raid with current guild any more and in preparation for finding a new place to call home, I have been investing a good amount of time in alts. The classes I'm most interested in are a hunter (not survival though) and a mage, possibly a druid (balance/guardian). I have these at level 110, but since they are geared through mythic plus while the ilvl isn't too bad, the itemization is not great, plus there are no tier pieces/bonuses and no raid trinkets available, which has a rather huge impact on what I'm able to do on them.

Hunter has been my main until MoP, so I feel quite confident about it. It has 70 traits for beast mastery and marksmanship, ilvl around 940 and has most of the good legendaries for beast mastery. I haven't been raiding on it in Legion at all, only mythic plus, but playing it feels like second nature, I don't think I'd need too much time to adapt to raid.

The only issue is that, as it stands now, beast mastery hunters heavily rely on specific combination of gear (namely tier 19 two set and tier 20 four set). I don't have that and it shows when compared to someone who does have it. Luckily, in tier 21 this will no longer be the case. More so provided for not it appears marksmanship might pull ahead once again.

I just recently got 6/9 ToS mythic on the hunter, however those are by no means progression kills. I was brought to an alt raid by Ravencrest-Drive, one of the world top 50 guilds and tentatively offered a position with them afterwards. Tempting offer, but 5 raids per week or more are a bit too much for me, so I declined the offer. Sadly I cannot provide logs from that, since they kept it private.

Mage is only few weeks old, but so far it's extremely addictive. Fire appears to be the single specialization that suits me the most in Legion, frost is more repetitive but quite ok as well. I have 69 traits in frost and fire, however the legendaries available are very poor. In all fairness though, as much as I enjoy it, I don't have the muscle memory and overall proficiency with it to offer it as a character I could raid on right away.

Druid currently has poor gear, but I have been playing it quite a bit in early Legion, so I know what to do as balance and guardian.

Overall, once a decision as to which character would be the most useful for Inner Sanctum is made, I'd be happy to invest a lot of time and effort into it – 75 traits would be achieved swiftly and so on. Right now I'm investing about equal amount of time in four different characters, so the process is slowed down.

Real life info
Name: Jan
Info about you and what you do when not playing WoW:
Professionally I'm air air traffic controller, though lately I spend more of my working time supervising trainees in course of their on the job and on simulator training. Also quite a bit into sports.

November 24th, 2017, 14:06

Hey Smalle,

Thank you for your application, we appreciate you viewing us so highly.

I'd like to talk to you on discord at your earliest convenience, added you to Battle.net to ease communication.

Kemee

November 24th, 2017, 16:13

Hey Lamme,

I can vouch for you.

Diablo

November 24th, 2017, 16:17

Accepted - Welcome to Inner Sanctum!

Looking forward to raiding Antorus together!

November 24th, 2017, 22:01
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]